Select studies that meet your search criteria.
· Primary Sources: PubMed, MEDLINE (Ovid), Web of Science, CINAHL
· Guidelines: US National Guidelines Clearinghouse; National Institute for Health & Care Excellence (NICE) Guidelines; Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network (SIGN); Canadian Medical Association Guidelines
· Evidence-Based Summaries: Bandolier, Clinical Evidence
· Structured Abstracts: EBM Online
· Systematic Reviews: Cochrane Library
· To search several of the databases simultaneously you can use: www.tripdatabase.com
Evaluate the evidence to assess the following:
1. Does the study/evidence address my question?
2. Is the source reliable?
3. Is the methodology sound?
4. Are the results valid?
5. Does the evidence apply to my patient or population?
Critical Appraisal Worksheets
From the Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine
· Systematic Review Critical Appraisal Sheet
· Diagnosis Critical Appraisal Sheet
· Prognosis Critical Appraisal Sheet
· Therapy / RCT Critical Appraisal Sheet